Thank you attendees, instructors, and vendors and sponsors! We had a fabulous 2017 event. The next trade show, Sharp Fest, will be held in Minneapolis April 2019.
More than 122 people attended this 2.5 day event in Minnesota from US, Canada, & Australia, 29 states, and three provinces. Here is The Sharp Fest 2017 Program link ! View the agenda, supporting vendors, and instructors. (Attendees received this book at the event.) If you'd like a program mailed to you as a keepsake, contact us!
See Class Descriptions further down this page.
Wednesday April 19 2017
- Registration Desk opens 3:30 PM and 6-8 pm
- Sharpening Dental Instruments 4 pm & 7* pm Instructor: R.J. Watson, president, RX Honing Machine Corp. – If you serve vets for clipper blades, you may get the pet tooth care instruments, similar to dental hygienists or surgical scissors, curates, scalers, excavators. Learn how to sharpen these tiny instruments! *NOTE: IF your flight/travel gets in later, we can repeat this class at 7 pm depending on demand. Please take our POLL once you are registered, we’ll send you the POLL for session interest.
- Vendor Room Exhibits (SET UP 2- 6 PM) Meet & Greet Attendee Preview 6 pm – 8 pm
Thursday, April 20 2017
- 7:30 AM Registration / Light Breakfast Meet & Greet
- 7:45 AM – SUPPLY FAIR OPENS! All day demos, just ask!
- 8 am General Session Welcome Remarks by Judy Brenner, Editor Sharpeners’ Report. Overview of class rooms at venue.
- 8:15 am So You Want to Be A Sharpener? Overview on market niches, investment, training options) Perfect for those new or wanting to expand into another segment of the industry.
- 8:30 am EXTRA FEE CLASS: Sharpening Beauty Tool Thinners, Texturizers, Chunkers, Oh My! Led by Josh Freund, Kut Above Perfection, IL – $130 Extra FEE
- 10:15 am Knife Sharpening Demo on the Perfect Edge Tower mulit-component belts system- Mike Solaegui, Perfect Edge Cutlery, Calif.
- 10:30 AM Straight Knives Industrial Sharpening (Planer blades, Picture Frame Cutters, Chippers) Instructor: Dave Rakauskas, Vice President Colonial Saw (repeated Fri. am)
- 11:30 am Information session on NBTSG Certification Q&A – Dennis Brooks, National Beauty Tool Sharpeners’ Guild Judge. Also available are IBSA Certification reps on site.
- 12:15 pm- Lunch & Learn: Cash Flow Management and the Bottom Line, SCORE SBA’s Mark Ratner
Thursday afternoon options:
- 1 :30 pm – 3:30 pm Clipper Repair Basics – Jeff Andrews, Northern Tails & Tommy Shute, NJ
- 1 pm – 3 pm EXTRA FEE CLASS: Beginner Scissor Sharpening, Bonnie Megowan, Bonika Shears, GA – $130 FEE Limit 6 (2 spots left)
- 4 pm -6 pm EXTRA FEE CLASS: Curved Shear Sharpening Instructor: Josh Freund, Kut Above Perfection, IL– $130 FEE Limit 10 (5 SPOTS left)
- 1 pm -5 pm –Round Table Discussions (SEE NEXT HEADING for topics); or Visit Supply Fair visit Exhibits!
- 3 pm -6 pm SILENT AUCTION (Set up at 3 pm bidding starts 3:15) Displaying an item? Entry fee $30, pick up form at Host Table
Thursday afternoon Round Table Discussions on:
- 2 pm – 3 pm – Shears Cut A Lot of Stuff! Sharpening Markets: Beyond the Salon: Explore more places in your service area to increase customer base beyond the salon and pet groomer., led by Bill Pierce, Wolff Industries
- 2 pm – 3 pm – Carbide Saw & Drill Bits Round Table (*Session Leader requested – Sharpeners share what works, best practices)
- 4 – 5 pm – Farmers’ Markets – How to gain entry, booth set up, sustain volume and profits, led by Robert Balfour, PA
- 5 – 5:30 pm – Route Management – How to organize your week, mobile tech tools and other methods. (*Session Leader requested; Sharpeners share what works for you!)
Thursday night options:
Dinner Group option (Let organizer know of interest) Restaurants at hotel: Kips Irish Bar and full restaurant; Nearby: Redstone Grill, Kona sushi (next to each other at local mall)
- 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm Knife Skills Class -Using Knife-Skills Classes to grow and sustain your business: a complete turnkey program. — Peter Hertzmann, culinary instructor, researcher, and knife expert
- 7 :30 pm – 9 pm EXTRA FEE CLASS: Intermediate Clipper Service & Repair – Intermediate Class — Jason Sturm, The Edge Pro – $200 FEE Limit 10 (8 spots left)
Friday, April 21 2017
- 7:30 am – Registration and Light Breakfast
- 8 am – Supply Fair Opens!
- 7:45 am – 8 :15 am Silent Auction final bids! View in Cashel Conf. Room . Closes/Clear Room by 8:30 am.
- 8 :15 am – 9 am Straight Knives Industrial Sharpening (Planer blades, Picture Frame Cutters, Chippers) Instructor: Dave Rakauskas, Vice President Colonial Saw
- 9 am – 10 am: Selling Shear Panel Discussion – Best Strategies to Close a Sale in Salons/Groomer shops, Co-led by Mark Wright, Sensei Shears & Gene Megowan, Bonika Shears
- 9 :30 am- 11 am How to Sharpen Clipper Blades; Sharpening Instructor: Mitch Kingsland, The Shop Inc., ID
- 9:30 am – 11:30 am EXTRA FEE Class: Dryer Repair for Pet Groomers -Instructor: The Edge Pro’s Jason Sturm, $200 Fee (Limit 6. 2 spots left)
- 10:15 am – 11 am – Mower Blade Sharpening and Balancing 101, Instructor: Gerd Bauer II, Magna-Matic
- 11 am – 1 pm – Lunch On Your Own – Visit Exhibits! Restaurant on premises. Or Carpool with a new friend to area restaurants at Ridgedale Mall or the “West End”.
- 1 pm – 5 pm Round Table Discussions (See topics below); Visit Supply Fair visit Exhibits
- 1:30 pm- 2:30 pm Sharpening Stones, strops and pastes – New Options, SharpeningSupplies.com -Instructor: Stone Specialist Dan Splinter
- 1:30 pm – 4 pm EXTRA FEE CLASS: Sharpening Convex Shears Workshop -Instructor: Sharp Edges’ Dennis Brooks $130 Fee Limit 8 (2 spots left)
- 2 pm -4 pm EXTRA FEE OPTION. National Beauty Tool Sharp. Guild Certification on Shear Sharpening -Judged by NBTSG – $199 Fee OR Choose to be certified/ judged by IBSA $215
Round Table Discussions on:
- 1 pm – 2 pm Saw/Tool Sharp Marketing: Connecting with Home Builder Assoc. to gain business, hardware stores, drop off locationsstrategies shared! Led by Rick Shefchik of Thorvie International, LLC, WI.
- 2 – 3 pm – Tool Sharpening: Techniques & Shop Tips & Jigs. (Sharpeners share what works for you!)
- 3 pm – 4 pm – Animal (Dog / Horse / Fair) Show on site Sharpening Best Practices (Set up / Marketing / Maximize Profits), led by Bill Thweat, Ft. Worth Shaver
- 3 – 3:30 pm Blame it on the Sharpener! Handling complains smoothly for ideal customer service; Led by Josh Freund, Kut Above Perfection, IL
- 3: 30 pm – 4 pm – Marketing with Social Media (Share your visibility / strategies with each other!)
- 4 – 5 pm – Outdoor Rig Tours of Vehicle Set Ups
- 4:15 – 5 PM DOOR PRIZES, EVALUATION FORM RAFFLE TICKETS TURNED IN. THANK YOU! SHOP TIL 6 PM BEFORE VENDORS CLOSE UP EXHIBITS
Saturday, April 22
- Private Training (arranged by equipment suppliers, e.g, The Shop, Inc.)
2017 CLASS DESCRIPTIONS:
Launch a Knife Skills Class – Using Knife-Skills Classes to grow and sustain your business: a complete turnkey program. — Peter Hertzmann, culinary instructor, researcher, and knife expert will show why knowledge of taking care of cutlery is important, and explain how this option can build loyalty. He will preview a sample of how to set up your own knife skills class for your community.
Clipper Repair Basics – Jeff Andrews will share with this class hope for new and experienced sharpeners who are having problems with grooming equipment, or are thinking about getting into servicing grooming equipment. Troubleshooting techniques, and how to inform groomers to take care of their equipment, will build loyalty. Handouts will be a small book filled with Jeff’s articles on the topic. Tommy Shute will go over the basic repair skills for common problems and tips on what supplies to keep on hand for a profitable and efficient repair business.
Blame it on the Sharpener! Josh Freund has handled complains smoothly to build customer loyalty. He’ll explain what you can say and how to react when customers are frustrated so you can win repeat business.
Straight Knives Industrial Sharpening – Do you have employees who need a refresher or would like to learn yourself how to sharpen and properly grind Straight Knives on a bed knife machine for Industrial and woodworking sharpening? Our 30-45 min. seminar will cover straight blades, slitters (Circular) knives, Chippers)! Colonial Saw’s instructor will be in Minneapolis at the April 21 Sharp Fest to offer insights. *Topic does not cover insert profile knives.
SHARPENING CURVED SHEARS This in-depth instructional class, featuring Josh Freund of Kut Above Perfection Sharpening, will cover how to sharpen curved convexed and beveled shears using Josh’s proven techniques to confidently service the inside edge/rideline of these cumbersome shears. He will also go into corrugation techniques, and address set issues. This class will be a presentation and demonstration followed by Q&A. $130 Pre-registration fee required.
Sharpening Stones for Pros –What stones should professional sharpeners in the blade service and repair business have in their “tool kit?” Product Specialist Dan Splinter, SharpeningSupplies.com will tell attendees at Sharp Fest. Watch our next issue for the report on this seminar held April 20 in Minneapolis. If you go, you’ll hear and see a review of some of the many options, know which stones are best for the customers you serve, whether it’s users of knives, woodworking tools, or hair cutting tools. Chefs & cosmetology artists have different expectations than household clients. Hear what makes stones different from each other, and which to consider for the ideal finished edge suited for your niche. As time allows, honing compound options will also be covered.. What stones should pro sharpeners have in their “tool kit?” Hear and see a review of some of the many options, know which stones are best for the customers you serve, whether it’s users of knives, woodworking tools, or hair cutting tools. Chefs & cosmetology artists have different expectations than household clients. Hear what makes stones different from each other, and which to consider for the ideal finished edge suited for your niche. As time allows, honing compound options will also be covered.
How To Sharpen Beauty Shear Thinners, Chunkers, Texturizers OH MY! Tackling the intricacies of these sometimes tricky tools — This in-depth instructional class featuring Josh Freund of Kut Above Perfection Sharpening will cover the ins and outs of servicing thinning shears and chunking shears. Josh will discuss common problems sharpeners face while trying to service these types of shears. In his class, he will discuss issues addressing shears with damage to the teeth, missing teeth, and how to tackles shears with notches previously removed from the teeth by an inexperienced sharpener. He will go into waterstone/ramping techniques, sharpening techniques, dealing with setting issues, and solving the mystery of why a shear may still be pulling hair after being sharpened. Josh will answer these questions once and for all! This class is geared to help give you more confidence in dealing with these styles of shears and taking your sharpening skills to the next level! This class will be a presentation and demonstration of his proven techniques followed by Q&A. Note: If you have a problematic thinner or chunker feel free to bring it to the class. If time is allotted your shear may be chosen as one of the demo shears. Covers disassembly, cleaning, grit application techniques, sharpening, burr removal, reassembly best practices, and testing options (test hollow grind, metal removal, cutting test options). Demos on The Shop Inc. Machine using 5-n-1 or other common blade sizes. Also covers disc condition, and indicators of when to resurface.Covers disassembly, cleaning, grit application techniques, sharpening, burr removal, reassembly best practices, and testing options (test hollow grind, metal removal, cutting test options). Demos on The Shop Inc. Machine using 5-n-1 or other common blade sizes. Also covers disc condition, and indicators of when to resurface. $130 Pre-registration fee required.
Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening 101 – Gerd Baur II, VP and owner of Magna-Matic Corp. will explain the geometry of a mower blade, ideal methods to sharpen the blades, why balance check is important , and why a nail is not the best solution to balance the blade. How to gain the proper angle, edge tests and a slide presentation based on his Webinar shared with the turf industry on the blade and regrinding for optimal sharpness.
(We will add more descriptions, check back soon or call our host office: 952-406-8870 with questions)